Illinois Society of Plastic Surgeons
in conjunction with
The Chicago Medical Society
Are pleased to offer
Opioid Abuse and Safe Prescribing
WHAT EVERY HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL NEEDS TO KNOW!
To renew a medical license, physicians must attest to compliance with state CME requirements. If you are a physician in Illinois you are required to complete three hours of continuing medical education on safe opioid prescribing for the July 31, 2020 renewal.
Completion of this course will better enable the course participant to:
- Discuss the fundamental concepts of pain management, including definitions and mechanisms of pain.
- Identify the range of therapeutic options for managing pain, including nonpharmacologic approaches and pharmacologic (non-opioid and opioid analgesics) therapies.
- Explain how to integrate opioid analgesics into a pain treatment plan individualized to the needs of the patient, including counseling patients and caregivers about the safe use of opioid analgesics.
- Describe how to safely and effectively manage patients on opioid analgesics in the acute and chronic pain settings, including initiating therapy, titrating, and discontinuing use of opioid analgesics.
- Discuss recommendations on incorporating emergency opioid antagonists into prescribing practice, utilizing best practices for co-prescribing emergency antagonists and training family members and loved ones on the use of naloxone.
- Recognize the risks of addiction following all stages of treatment in the management of pain, identify strategies to mitigate these risks, and discuss therapeutic options for treatment of opioid addiction.
Opioid Abuse and Safe Prescribing
Date: Saturday, January 11, 2020
9:00 am-12:30 pm
Location: Maggiano's Little Italy
516 N. Clark, Chicago, IL 60654
Speaker: A. Jay Chauhan, DO, FAOCO
Download 2020 Opioid Abuse Brochure
Target Audience - All licensed professionals, Physicians, Nurses, Hospital administrators, Executive staff, Public health professionals.
Fees: CMS/ISPS Member or staff person: $10.00 per person
Non CMS/ISPS Member or staff person: $50.00 per person
Cancellation Policy: Individual cancellations must be received in writing by the CMS office no later than 72 hours prior to the program. Refunds will not be issued after 72 hours or for “no-shows.”
Questions? Please contact the Education Department at email@example.com or call 312-670-2550, ext. 338.
CME Disclosures, Accreditation & Designation: The Chicago Medical Society is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the ACCME. The Chicago Medical Society designates this live activity for a maximum of 3.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Chicago Medical Society Planning Committee and Speaker Disclosures: The following planning committee members of the Chicago Medical Society CME Committee and the speaker have disclosed that they do not have any relevant financial relationships with commercial interests: Candice Cole MHA, Arjang Khorasani MD, Eric Eason MD, Michael Hanak MD, Vemuri Murthy MD, and Speaker: A. Jay Chauhan, DO, FAOCO